It is hard to be these days. Not when you see all these headlines. And definitely not the way you want to ring in a New Year which is supposed to be filled with hope for the future!
- Two brothers gun down 12 at Charlie Hebdo in Paris.
- Boko Haram massacres 2000 in Nigeria.
- Unarmed African American male shot dead by the police.
- Two NYPD officers slain in line of duty.
And on and on and on…….. And you can expand this to intolerance and hate of all kinds.
And even the most optimist person can be forgiven for being despondent. Left to wonder with all the advancement in civilization how is it possible that we are here today in this day and age. In one hand we are probably one of the most tolerant society that ever lived, yet it seems that the intolerable acts dominate more than ever.
So how do we break this cycle?
- #Leadership Matters: Not just the kind where world leaders joined million others to march the other day in Paris. Every single one of us can be leaders in this change in our day to day lives. We can commit to respect another person’s opinion and preference even if that is not ours.
- #Education Matters: Not just the kind that one gets at a school. But where each of us can commit to learning about different points of view and being tolerant to those that does not jive with our value system. Get over the misconception that learning about an opposing view somehow tarnishes our values.
- #Sustainable Social Change Matters: Not just the outrage that happens after a massive event and then we quietly slip back to our day to day grind. Commit to making a difference in other people’s lives, especially those who just need a helping hand to shine. So much of this can be avoided if everyone just had hope that their lives can get better.
- #Purpose Matters: Not just to make a difference in our lives. But to pay it forward and change the world that we touch. We are each blessed with certain characteristics with the hope that we use it for the betterment of others. Even touching one person and changing their perception or situation will have explosive exponential positive effect.
So, let us make this commitment as this New Year starts. Let us dare to be different and be the leading beacons of hope by educating ourselves and being tolerant to others point of view. Let us be purposeful to use our given resources to change the lives we touch.
And not to break the cycle is NOT an option. Because it fundamentally challenges every one of us and our ways of lives. Because looking at the mirror is the only way to make a difference.
#Je Suis Hopeful!